You are here: Home | Swindon CSP | Substance Misuse

Substance Misuse


Safeguarding applies to anyone who is 18 years old, who is vulnerable because of age, illness, a disability or a mental health need, and cannot protect themselves from abuse.

Swindon Safeguarding Adults Board defines a vulnerable adult as:

Any person who is aged 18 years and over who is or may be in need of community care services because of frailty, learning or physical or sensory disability or mental health issues who is or may be unable to take care of him or herself, or take steps to protect him or herself from significant harm or exploitation.

What is Safeguarding?

Safeguarding Adults is a phrase which includes all work which enables an adult who is or may be eligible for community care services to retain independence, well-being and choice and to access their human right to live a life that is free from abuse and neglect.

There are three main strands to Safeguarding:

  • Prevention: developing and sustaining preventative strategies, making sure that services are provided to vulnerable adults to promote their well-being and making sure that all organisations follow, for example, safe recruitment and selection procedures, including training and supervision.
  • Empowerment: raising public awareness, developing and sending out publicity and information to enable people to recognise abuse and know how to protect themselves and/or seek help if they experience or witness abuse.
  • Adult Protection: recognising, reporting and responding effectively to alleged abuse or neglect of vulnerable adults when it occurs. This includes policies, procedures, training and awareness.

For more information about the Swindon Safeguarding Adults Board please visit the vulnerable adults section on the Swindon Borough Council website.

Other useful contacts:

Swindon Cares Helpline (A one-stop information and resource helpline for carers in Swindon) - Tel: 0121 675 8000
Saneline (Help and advise for people with a mental illness) - Tel: 0845 767 8000
Care Quality Commission (if the person is in a care home) - Tel: 0300 061 661